View Single Post
Old 04-19-06, 02:30 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I grew up near Baltimore and our Scout Troop took on the C&O Canal as a regular weekend camping experience. When I was about 12 I pedaled my Sears single speed heavy weight about 30 miles on the canal trail in one day. While the trail is flat, none of it was paved and only a few places were smooth back in the late 60s and early 70s. I remember stretches miles long that were like a wash board of roots and rocks. In '81 I rode nearly a third of the length of the trail on one Saturday. It was all in a cold rain. The trail was still quite rough and rather muddy that day. I took that ride some 25 years ago on the Schwinn Traveler which I still own and continue to ride!

Bob
Ahhhh The good old days. I have just come back from an evening ride and it was along a local trail called the Cuckoo Line. An old railway line so no steep hills. Thing is that this walking/ cycle trail has only been developed in the last 15 years. I can remember when it used to be a mud track in winter and almost unridable in the Summer with the rock hard ruts and dust. Then a bit of levelling was undertaken and the Hollows and mud patches filled in. Then a loose layer of gravel. It is now a tarmac path for its 12 mile distance. No fun any longer.

Spike Milligan