View Single Post
Old 04-20-06, 11:52 AM
caotropheus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBigJ
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think you are right about the 36 spoke rims. I wonder why they never suggested that at the bike shop (especially after I repeatedly asked if there was something they could order that would be better suited to my needs.)

Another question I had: when I was being shown all the different wheels at the store, all the most expensive and "best" wheels had spoke configurations where the spokes came into the hub perpendicular (as opposed to the more conventional configuration where the spokes enter the hub tangentially). The people at the store claimed this was a stronger setup, and while I can imagine it might be stronger for road bumps it seems like it would be weaker for accelerating and braking. Is this spoke configuration really stronger? Why? Or were the people at the store just guessing that more money=stronger?
The phisical explenation I do not know, but for sure is related the way the force vectores are transmited from the rim through the spoke to the hub and from the hub to the adjacent spokes and back to the rim again. For sure in the "prependicular" spoke configuracion (in reality tangencial spoke patern) the sum of all forces result in a less moment afecting the hub.

About your wheel, again I say, if you do not want to think about your back wheel in the future, take a 36 spoke semitangencial patern (as you refered "tangencial")