Old 04-20-06, 03:51 PM
chicbicyclist

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey there chic, I posted a sort-of-snarky comment in your commute log pic thread to the effect that motors are for wusses. Of course I'm teasing, but then again, I can't see myself using an assist on my bike - I don't think it would be useful enough to me to be worth the extra weight, maintenance, etc. Do you find that's the case, that people are either "I'd never have one" or "I'd never ride without one"?

A question on how it functions - do you have to plug the batteries in to charge them, or do they recharge from pedalling or just from the wheel turning?
Most people find it cool. I'm not sure what they actually think of it, and I cant really answer that question because I dont know anybody who uses them. Alot of people do ask where to get it, and I also tell them that they are perfect for hills in San Diego. My bike shop absolutely loves it, dont know if they'll get it themselves, but said it was a really good idea if it makes more people cycle.

You actually plug it into your normal electrict outlet. The same one where you plug your tv, laptop, fridge, etc.

What you sould now do in this thread is link a source where someone could buy an electric assist. Or at least know how much they cost.
Here's a pretty good one top start.

http://www.electric-bikes.com/

It doesnt have all the kits available, but that gives you a pretty good idea on pricing. I dont really recommend the pre-built bikes, because I think kits allows you more freedom, and they more often than not emphasize the synergy of human and electric motor power. Plus, they are eaiser to make lighter, customize, maintain and repair because you are limited by manufacturer specific components apart(especially the batteries).

Can you tell us more about your bike? I love the idea of electric assist, and your bike looks great. I'd love to hear more about it.
Well, let me see, it is a Raleigh SC30, I think either a 2000, or 20001 model(I'm leaning towards 2000 because I googled the color and forest green only showed up for the 2000 model). It is a "comfort" bike. I was initially looking for european utility kind of bikes, where you sit upright and does not look sporty at all. Well, this came along craigslist, and at the time, I was using a really crappy walmart bike that I got last year when I got interested in cycling as transportation ever since we moved into this more dense area and urban, two miles from downtown.

I thought, "I could always replace that, and $60 isnt a whole lot, and Raleigh is deffinitely better than walmart bikes!".

I started riding(on my walmart bike then the SC30) for errands, groceries, recreation and limited myself to 1-3 miles from home. Hills severely limited where I can, and can't go. The short ones were okay, but if I want to go to downtown on my bike, I have to contend with a very long, but not that steep hill because i live on a mesa. Even the people who work at the bikeshop said thats one of the limiting factor on why people in San Diego probably will not be biking like people in Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Then theres the steeper hills(still long!) from Mission Valley back home. Grade 8%-9% and the shortest route was half a mile long! I'm not an athelete and I doubt alot of people will subject themselves to that kind of torture, especially if they have easy access to cars(like I do).

Then I discovered electric assist. Good idea, but how good is it. Hill climbing was the most important, then range. Read more about it and its sounding better and better. Found Wilderness Energy. The cheapest kits online. I read reviews and they seem more than adequate. Ah, jackpot. They have a kit on sale! from $370 down to $210 for the refurbished unit. I ordered it right the next day after more considerations(meaning I had to find a way to squeeze an unexpected $230 spending). Now we wait.

The next three days passed by, and on the day it was supposed to be delivered, nobody was home, and i didnt know a signature was required. Good thing i have the day off the next day. Oh the anticipation.

The next day, it arrived and I spent about tow hours installing the unit. The ugly battery bag on my cheap planet bike rack, and the front hub motor in front. It fits!!!!! Allelujah. I spent the entire few days waiting for the kit to arrive wondering it will fit on my front fork(I think you can even search for my thread in Mechanics asking if it will fit or not, rather wordy, like this one). It fits perfectly.

So now I'm excited to test it out, but i have to make sure eveything is in place, the bolts tight. I dont want to nose dive on this untested system!

The first time i tried it was really awesome. I remember I had that huge grin while going uphill without pedalling, and some people who realized it had that funny look to them. Almost immediately, I find myself biking more, and alot farther(going to places 10 miles away on hilly terrain is not unuusal anymore) and well, i ended up riding my bike more. The weight was kinda unusual at first but you get used to it. Like I said, acceleration suffered from a dead stop, but again, I'm not a racer, I'm a utility cyclist. And I have a motor!

As for the bike itself, I decided that I will not be replacing it anymore. Its actually perfect for the electric assist. It has steel fork, cromoly steel frame, thicker tubes and can withstand more abuse with the added weight. I also replaced the handlebar for more comfort and better looks from a flat bar to an Albatross Nitto Handlebar(from rivendell), upgraded to a better topeak rack that doesnt flex too much, bought walds folding basket because my battery pack was taking space from my cargo rack, replaced the ugly battery bag and used an army surplus bag that was once used as a toolbag, bought bar end shifters for easier shifting(and looks), bought a brooks for aestethic then comfort reasons, and now, I just bought yellow cloth bar tape from Sheldon Brown, and I'll be shellacing it to match my honey Brooks saddle.

Okay, this is starting to bocome too long and I'll jsut say that the bottom line is, I ride more now and I enjoy it. I'm not a "hardcore" cyclist, just somebody trying to make a difference by using the car less. I'm also lazy(but not FAT!) living in a relatively hilly terrain that is not exactly friendly to utility cycling.

I wouldn't want to pedal around the dead-weight after the battery went out!!! I have long rides.
I dont thikn this system is desinged for racing/touring cyclists in mind. It's supposed to be an alternative form of transportation, and possibly, recreation. But you'll be surprised how light you can make this sytem. Here's a new hub motor I discovered two days ago: http://www.electricwheelscompany.co.uk/

That motor looks like an ordinary drumbrake or something similar! Probably not as good as fullsized hub motors, but if you couple that motor with a very lightweight battery system, I cant see why you cant have a 20 lbs system instead of the usual 40-50 lbs.

Last edited by chicbicyclist; 04-20-06 at 05:07 PM.