View Single Post
Old 06-05-03, 05:12 AM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by nathank
ok, it's clear that the chainstay will get dirty and maybe the paint will chip...

but does/can it actually do any structural damage? i could car less if my paint gets chipped or whatever. i have 4 bikes and not a one has a chainstay protector. i ride about 10,000km per year - about half off-road - and have never had any problems.

anyone know of a frame failing from excessive wear from chain slap, or cracks developing in this area that a protector could prevent?

i think most of the damage is just surface and a thin protector won't do much against big damage like large hits to the area from a crash or rocks...

Actually, I think that is one primary advantage of the new protectors as compared to the sharkfins.

But I don't, personally, think it would protect against impacts against rocks, but it may dampen the impact since new protectors are made of rubber and foam(like chamois)..