Old 04-24-06, 12:25 PM
Al.canoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Are you guys eating for the same goal though. If you look atsomebody who produces Mike Tyson and you look at somebody who produced Lance Armstrong and somebody's goal is to be Lance Armstrong, is advising that person to follow Lance Armstrong's diet going to be beneficial for his goal?
I think alot of people are missing the OP's original goal/question.

I don't think goals have much to do with it, but the answer is yes if the person is doing the same kind of cycling. For a boxer, probably not. Different stressors on the body I would suppose. Both pro and amateur athletes share the same physiology. Therefore, irrespective of your fitness, if you burn ATP faster than your fat energy system can replenish it, you better go for the carbs both during and immediately after the exercise (and for another two hours) . If you don't, your performance will suffer and you'll feel bad the next day much less do well on a ride.

This concept has been verified in the lab, in practice by many thousand athletes, wins races and is well documented. I don't see why it's debatable until an opposing concept is proved superior in the real world. That hasn't happened yet.

On the other hand, it's not the last word. There is still much to learn and refinements to make, but anyone who advocates going back to the "fat only" or the "high protein" days, is decades behind the science.

I wonder if now someone is going to come out with a theory saying that lactate threshold training is not necessary to win races. Believe me, that works too. I can see the difference, as I can with the carb thing, and I only ride for enjoyment and fitness.

Al