Old 04-24-06, 09:34 PM
popdelusions
it's your bicycle bells

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmat
yeah that was my first official race on the track. unfortunately I went down in that crash and broke collarbone in 3 places, just got surgery which was a success. Tendon from hamstring harvested to reinfoce the clavical. Doc says it will be a good strong fix. Now just paying the bills and waiting to get back on the bike. My bros from RVA are the most awesome friends and racers. How did the others in that crash come out. From my perspective someone went down and took out at least one other rider, I had no time to react and crashed into someone/something and went flying. Damn that hurt! I think I got the worst of it? Hope everyone else is OK?
Jimmat -

I'm really sorry to hear that you broke your collarbone so badly (I think you did fare the worst, at least that I've heard), but I'm glad to hear you found a good doc and that you're mending. I hope the surgery wasn't too traumatic; that sounds like a serious piece of repair work.

I was the first guy to go down, so I was the someone (and I'll bet my bike was the something) that you ran over. I recall it all happening as marcelinyc describes; that kid cut downtrack without pulling all the way past me -- I guess he thought he saw a hole where there wasn't one -- and there was nothing I could do to keep the bike up with him coming down right into my front wheel, so down I went.

I agree...it sure hurt a lot (and man, getting run over by people is not an experience I want to repeat), though with some dumb luck I got off pretty easy, despite being run over by everybody -- mainly I left a lot of skin (seems like at least one good-sized strip from every limb) on the track, so I've been wrapped in Tegaderm ever since. Nice chainring chunk out of my left ankle, and some good tire burn on my back and shoulder, which is a little disturbing. Beyond that I've just been stiff and sore as hell: sprained right shoulder, and hips, back, and right thigh are just one big bruise. Feeling a little better every day, though.

We'll both be back out there soon. Again, happy to know you're doing OK -- hang in there in the meantime.

Last edited by popdelusions; 04-25-06 at 09:41 AM.