Old 06-06-03, 09:30 PM
Flange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had my bike fit checked out by an experienced Ironman and certified Podiatrist. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my setup, I have had orthotics made especially for cycling to keep everything lined up correctly. My biggest problem is that I go too hard and too much too quickly. I tend to rush in and especially when I see results I just want to ride more and more, and get faster. This latest injury came about last weekend after a training week of Monday 2hrs (avg 33 km/h), Wednesday 2hrs (avg 33.4 km/h), Friday 45 minutes on Stationary trainer ILT workout and then I did a 4 hour easy paced ride (avg 31km/h) on Saturday and then a 3 hour ride on hilly terrain on Monday (avg 29km/h). This was done by myself and I also threw some leg weights in there on Tuesday as well. I guess it was way too much, although I thought I was wasn't over doing it as I was using small gears and spinning and on the hills I was using a much easier gear than I could, trying to keep my cadence high.

I really should have learnt though from my previous history as I come from a rowing background and have had to change to road cycling because of a wrist injury, from over work. I guess I have a pretty good endurance base from rowing and aerobically I can withstand much more work on the bike than I am doing but my muscles and tendons etc really have to be slowly worked into cycling as they are not use to it. I have decided that I will do the Advanced 7 week Training programme from Lance Armstrong's Cycling book, which only involves about 8 - 10 hours of training a week with about 4 hours of that dedicated to recovery rides of 45 minutes or so. Hopefully this won't be too much.

I'll try to control my impulse to go harder and faster, although when I join a club and start riding with others I'll have a hard time trying to stop myself competing with them in training rides, I really don't like getting beaten by anyone, even in training.

Anyhow I would really appreciate any advice on preventing those over use injuries as I really want to win some races, and I have to be on the bike to do that. Thanks