Old 06-08-03, 11:13 PM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by RoadHazardBuzz
I pumped the tire and was on my way, but by this time my muscles had tightened up and it was not a fun ride home, but I made it. 61 miles, er 60 miles of riding and 1 of walking.
I had that happen to me once. I set out to reach a point 67 miles away (after which I'd take a bus home). After getting there and eating and resting (90 minute break), I decide to go a bit further. I was really feeling good which surprised me so I got to 83 miles, rolling real well - and then ran into a rain storm.

So, I turned around and when a bus come up, I grabbed it to get me away from the rain. I was too close to a century to want to start all over. When I got off the bus to finish the last 17 miles, my muscles were really tight and the wind was now against me. Hardest 17 miles I ever did.

You also asked for pump recommendations. I don't have a lot of experience, but I first had a small mini-pump (Specialized). Very hard to pump the tire way up. When I bought my road bike, I got a nice Blackburn frame pump. It was better, but getting past 60 lbs was hard for me and past 80? Forget it.

So, based on recommendation from others, I got the Topeak Morph pump which has a piece that folds out and lets you use it like a floor pump. Also has a guage that gives an approximate idea of the pressure - very handy! I have gotten it up to at least 110. It is pretty small. Actually, I wonder why they don't seem to make one a bit longer that works the same way since it is much shorter than the top bar and I would think a longer cylinder would be even more efficient.

Bob (301 flatless miles on my Armadillo)