View Single Post
Old 04-29-06, 07:56 AM
tjsager
TJ

Bikes: 85 Masi 3V (49cm), 85 Masi 3V (51cm), 2004 Bianchi Pista, 89 Raleigh Trials bike, 84 Centurion Protour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay feedback request

Is anyone using Speedplay with this setup? I plan to use this setup in the future unless I hear that it may be inadequate. I plan to do all types of events but mostly endurance events in the Masters Cats. I weigh only 125 lbs. and don't have massive strength.

I would like to use at least 5 degrees of free rotation. Any comments regarding security of fixed versus float?

Also, might it be necessary to put a toeclip on this setup. I think I can figure out how to do that without too much difficulty. If I put a toeclip on the pedal I would use both the front screw and the back screw to keep the toe clip aligned. I would think that without a clip, the strap might not stay in the preferred position on the top of the shoe. I think it may not feel as secure as it should without a toe clip. Comments? Has anyone used this pedal with a toe clip?

I have read other posts regarding speedplay and I do understand that the pedal axle becomes gouged. I think I'm willing to live with the gouging and replace the axles or pedals from time to time if the pros outweigh the cons for me.

I'm mostly interested in knowing if other speedplay users feel secure with this setup and whether the toeclip is necessary or not.

I see that the X series is not self centering. I want that. Can anyone tell me if the Zero series is self centering or not?

Can anyone who is using or has used Speedplay with straps, this tell me the pros and cons of this setup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SpeedplayWithStrap.JPG (19.2 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by tjsager; 04-29-06 at 08:43 AM.