View Single Post
Old 04-30-06, 05:09 PM
bjkeen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dishing tolerance.

When you're building a wheel, what's an acceptable tolerance for the overall dish?

Reason I'm asking is that I built up a Nexus 8 wheel as my first ever. There a millimeter or less of runout horizontally and vertically in the rim, but I come to find after I mount the rim in the frame (which is fine, in alignment, etc) with the tire on it that it seems to be offset about a mm or two to the left. There was a little more but I put in a washer (the dropout on the bike I'm using is 132.5; the O.L.D. of the hub is closer to 130 anyway) and improved it to about 1mm or so now.

I built it with a truing stand that purports to be 'self centering' so that no dish stick is required, but apparently I made a mistake.

Now, there's nothing ugly about spoke tension on either side of the wheel and I'm using a hub brake so there's not even any hint of a braking problem. It seems to feel just fine when I ride, too.

So, basically, we're talking something barely visible to the naked eye here, small in scale compared with the footprint of tire on pavement, and my main question is 'do I need to fix it right away because boy in such and such a riding situation I sure will notice it' or 'your wheel will EXPLODE!' or 'chill out; if it's still bugging you two years from now fix it the next time you change the tire.'