View Single Post
Old 09-05-01, 11:07 PM
catfish-archive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posted by george t korkos

That day I made it to just west of mckinzie bridge, If you remember or have read part one I wrote about the climb over mckinzie pass with the weather turning into early winter as I climbed and tried to do me in. That was the night Id met Rusty, the woman that took me in that cold wet night I wanted to visit again and stayed at her place this night. In the morning I left by 7:30 to start the climb over the cascade mtns. Since Id been over Mckinziee pass 2 times allready I opted for the other route santiam pass it is about 4,500 ft that is deciving though because a few timnes you loose everything you gained and start climbing again.

The first 17 miles were quote easy I met a girl going west and we waved as we passed. I was in the mode of climb-drink water- eat and keep going when ever the road flatened out Id take a short 30 - 45 second break Finished off the first water bottle at 20 miles the climb got steeper, the thing I noticed was climbing from the west face seems to be longer, I kept going. Things looked so different with the sun shining I kept reliving the ride through here in the rain sleet and wind a year ago. i was into the 4th hour oc climbing when things got real steep I figured about 9 miles to the summet, By now i am in my second to the lowest gear. Everynow and then Id have to drop into granny gear but would get out of it as soon as i could. 6 miles to go the only way i could go forword was in granny,

I saw a telephone in the middle of nowhere so i thought Id call some one and say hi. too bad the phone didnt work. then I saw this guy his biked proped up against a tree and his was laying on the ground he had pannieers but not much other gear and looked to be about 280 lbs he looked wiped out. i shouted HI! he didnt respond in fact he made it a point not to look at me. I wondered if this was one of the guys Id heard about that was a day ahead of me. I was ready to go so i tried once more to talk to him I said "hey man, only 6 more miles to the top", I think he gave up and didnt want to talk to anyone.

I left and made the summet where I had my lunch looking down on a beautifull sight. While eating my turkey sandwicjh and ornge a forest service truck pulled in and I told them of this guy and to check on him, I figured it to be the least I could do for a fellow cyclist and hope someone would do the same for me some day.

I was excited about the ride down the pass I figured it would be at least 20 miles of joyfull downhill but i got gyped It lasted only 6 miles but it WAS fast i hit 42 mph and was smileing at everyone i met and whooping it up then the road turned into just another road some up sopme down and some flat. The climb was close to 30 miles so Im still looking for a looong decent.