Old 05-01-06, 12:23 PM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tightwad
Impractical??? Not at impractical as the cost of owning ANOTHER vehicle.

As to trailers for this job here are some light duty trailers that could do the job nicely for way less than
the 1k I mentioned. Just take your pick. Hitches can be bought /installed at any U-haul store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...nd=Haul-Master

U-Haul brand hitch for the Mazda.......
Hitch for a 1996 Mazda Miata

Hitch# 247262
Type/ Sportframe 1 1/4 inch Rec
Class/ 1
Max weight/2000 #
Finish/ Black
Price $199.95 (on line)
I'm still not convinced. So we are looking at $250 for the trailer and another $200 for the hitch. So thats $450. Not too bad.

Okay, now the Blue book of a miata is roughly $4000. The blue book of a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am (picked randomly) is somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500. I see a profit of roughly $1500.

If the Miata is not to be sold, then things get stickier. Now we are looking at $2500 vs $450. I guess you win that argument. But get a quote for installation and a trailer and I doubt you'll come close to $450 for everything. I am of the believe that if it was, say, $1500 for the trailer and installation vs $2500 for the car, might as well get the car. Then you have two cars. If one breaks down, you have a spare. If it is raining you have a hard top so you don't get wet in the Miata. If you need to haul a keg or get something big like a TV, you can put it in the trunk and not have to deal with towing a trailer through a city and parking lot (I don't know about you, but I really hate parallel parking with a trailer). I guess, I just don't see putting a trailer on a Miata.

Maybe the best idea is a $125 trunk rack.