View Single Post
Old 05-01-06, 02:24 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
I'm pretty impressed with the Finishline cleaning machine, works better than expected and is less messy than most.

Al
I agree, the Finishline Product works much better then I ever expected and now have been using it for 3 years and it still works.

HOWEVER...if your chain is really dirty you should FIRST take it apart and follow the advice that genericbikedude gave. I have a solvent basin I use and I use a brush to get between the links better then let it soak overnight; but either way works. Once you have your chain really clean then you should use the FinishLine Cleaning Machine about every 100 to 150 miles to keep it clean. I use to take my chain apart every 500 miles or so for deep cleaning but now since I use the FinishLine Machine I only take it apart about every 5,000 miles and then it's not really anymore dirtier then it is when I use the FinishLine Machine.

Also there have been test done by various bike publications on all these chain cleaning machines over the years the FinishLine one always won in every publication.

Word of caution: do not spin the chain fast through whatever machine you buy because they will splatter dirty solvent all over you, your bike, the floor, etc.