Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akod
Moving from a triple to a compact is NOT a downgrade - I don't know how anyone would say such a thing.
I said such a thing, and stand by it.

It is a downgrade because you won't have as wide a gear range.

It is a downgrade because you will likely need to do more front shifting, due to the smaller front ring not being as versatile as the middle (typically 42 tooth) ring of a typical "road triple."

Compacts have been cropping up all over and are not a fad so why would someone who clearly has bicycle experience say act as if it were a "downgrade" let alone say this legitimate questions is "very silly". You're entitled to your opinion after all though.
Most of the folks going to compact doubles are going as an alternative to full-sized doubles, not replacing triples.

A triple has a lot of hassles associated with it - I've ridden mine for about 3,000 miles and that's a fact. I'm a former road racer who worked in bike shops for many years but simply didnt have experience specifically with Compacts and thought I would give you all a spin (pun intended .

BUT having to pay attention to the triple in the front is a complete pain in the butt!!
They tend to work fine if properly set up.

I challenge anyone on that front. I'm not a touring guy (which is excellent if you are) so the compact seemed like a reasonable option. It's a bit lighter and has fewer "moving parts", at least up front.

Can I also please point out that the question was a product / technical question - NOT one related to money or the cost of making the change. People have all sorts of reasons for doing things - the reason isn't the question at hand - it was just about the parts. (is it worth doing or is the gain just a marginal one IF anyone had ridden a compact before).

Sorry for waking up on the wrong side of the bed but no one has really answered the question - just given their "input".
That's false.

Please re-read your original posting, and my previous answer. I specifically answered each of the questions you asked.

Sheldon "Less Is Not More" Brown
Code:
+--------------------------------------------+
|  Nothing is given so profusely as advice.  |
|     - Francois, Duc de la Rouchefoucauld   |
+--------------------------------------------+