IronMac
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshFrank
My soon-to-be wife and I are taking this tour for our honeymoon...
http://biketoursdirect.com//?location=tourdetail&tid=11 Anybody on here have any experience with this company, or Austria? We have never been to europe so any pointers are welcome. BTW we will be there the end of May.
I journeyed through Austria from Innsbruck to Vienna many years ago along the Danube bike path. It's a gorgeous country with awesome mountain vistas in the west. I can still remember looking up one morning at this mountain peak with snow clouds swirling off of it.

Your proposed tour is a very short one. If at all possible I would start in Salzburg and spend a couple of days there before heading downstream. It's a very romantic city with the bridges over the Danube, the older city and the citadel above it all. In the evening you really get the idea of the "Blue Danube".

Salzburg is also close to the von Trapp family's estate/castle(?) so if you or your wife are interested in that sort of thing go for it.

The Danube bike path is relatively flat with no significant hills that I can remember. The most memorable part of the path itself is the number of snails you will encounter as you near Vienna. *ugh*

Vienna is a beautiful city. The city square itself is not much to look at but do try to spend some time in the palaces if that is your thing. Of course, there are the Lippinzanger(sp?) stallions and the sachertorte that someone else mentioned. The original is from the Hotel Sacher.

Make sure to bring a camera and take lots of pictures. Again, I can't say this enough, it's a gorgeous country and I'm sure that it will be a memorable trip for you two.