Thread: Toronto Fixed
View Single Post
Old 05-03-06, 08:24 AM
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 32flavours
The lab I work at is out at UTM, so I'll be doing this route 3 or more times a week all summer. Once I get more familiar with it, I might try to find some side roads to take so I don't have to huff Mack truck exhaust the entire time. Is anyone out there familiar with the route to U of T at Missisauga and can offer alternative ways to get there? This was just the most straightforward route I could plot without having done it before. The pedometer thingy I posted was actually made when I lived at Bloor and Palmerston (it's actually plotted backwards, from UTM back to downtown), but I've since moved 6 blocks away, so the start point isn't completely accurate. Reflections on the ride today:

1) Hell damn ass. Need padded gloves or cushier bar tape.
2) Hell damn ass. Need to adjust saddle.
3) Ooh, maybe I'll get pretty bike knickers like Robin and justify it with my commute.
4) My new UTW bag kicks major ass.
My only advice is when you're commuting out to mississauga is stay away from dundas st, as it become a major, 6-8 lane highway out there. try taking bloor to the end where it become central parkway, turn left on CP (SW) follow it until you reach burnamthorpe, west on burnamthorpe to miss road and south to the campus.

of course you could always take the lakeshore through port credit then go north on miss road and gaze at all the mansions. actually that's not a bad way to go either, if a bit longer. maybe 30km.

unfortunately there aren't really any "quiet" roads out there until you get to it's outer reaches, 6th line v/ burnamthorpe area.