View Single Post
Old 05-03-06, 12:01 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torx bit not fitting Park Torque Wrench

1/4" Craftsman Torx 25 bit is not fitting on the 1/4" head of my Park Torque Wrench. The head/male part/whatever of the torque wrench is slightly too large to fit into the bit. I took the bit and wrench to Sears to see if it was just a poorly machined bit, but none of the 1/4" Torx bits would fit. Several other 1/4" bits of other types worked fine, and I haven't had troubles with many other Craftsman bits, but quite a few at Sears did not fit (Torx bits especially).

The funny side to this is my conversation with the Sears salesperson:

SALESPERSON: What brand of torque wrench is it?

ME: It's a Park Tool wrench.

SALESPERSON: Well, some of the cheaper, low quality toolmakers have a lot of variance in their manufacturing. So if you buy cheaper tools their sizes might sometimes be off a bit. You've probably got a cheap wrench there that wasn't built properly.

ME: I wouldn't say Park tools are cheap.

SALESPERSON: Well, then you should drive over to the Park shop and demand a new wrench.

Obviously, the guy wasn't a cyclist, so I can't blame him for not having heard of Park. I just thought it was a little funny.

I ended up buying a 1/4" to 1/4" extender that fits just fine. But, what's the deal? Anyone else have issues? What brand bits do you usually buy with your torque wrenches?