Old 05-03-06, 08:07 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Timonabike
Hi!

Like the title says ... Looking for tips, tricks & recipes to share.

Background: My C2C tour got postponed after almost 2 yrs. of planning and excited preparation. So, I've been putting together something of a resource in the form of an on line journal to share what I've found:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/Cookonabike

If you've got some favorites you'd like to share let me know. Post here. If you have suggestions for me to add sections to the journal send PM or leave a note in the Guest Book function on the journal.

Most of the focus has been on creating an evening meal that lets a rider eat well and well within budget. Fresh ingredients, simple methods and even somethings for a group 'feed' or biker/hiker rendevous.

Look forward to your great ideas.

Thanks,

Tim
My family has a couple of favorites that I use when I'm on the road, or on work travel and staying in residence inns. I'll give you one that is called So Good Skillet, a good one pot meal. It's very filling so I'd suggest not doing it for a solo trip (althougth it warms nicely for lunch, most of us don't have refrigerators or microwaves on our bikes ). You need (for 4 normal people and 2.85 hunger bike people)

1 lb hamburger
1 onion
2 or 3 stalks of celery
2 or 3 carrots
1 can of beef broth (consume works better)
1 can beef vegetable soup
1/2 to 1 can of water
1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce (steal...er borrow... some packets from a Chinese restaurant)
1/4 cup (or more) Salsa or taco sauce (again borrow some from a restaurant)
Pasta (6 or 7 oz) of some kind. Elbow mac., penne, etc. works well. Spaghetti - not so much.
Hot sauce (I like Franks), as much as you like Keep some for adding later.

Brown the hamburger in a pot. Since you are unlikely to find 'lean' hamburger in a podunk town in Iowa, drain the fat. Add the onions and brown them. Add the celery and soften it slightly.

Dump in the liquid stuff (except the hot sauce) and bring it to a boil. Add the pasta and simmer until the pasta is done. Add hot sauce to taste. Serve. Get someone else to clean up.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!