View Single Post
Old 05-04-06, 09:22 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamawani
Ah, my friend -

That is just the point of touring - slowing down - looking for the subtle detail. We live in an era where everything is bigger, faster, and more spectacular. Smaller, slower, and ordinary seems so - - - boring. One of my favorite memories is of biking in the Oklahoma panhandle on a empty road with a tailwind. Mile after mile of nothingness. I'm not a Buddhist, but it's the closest thing to a prayer wheel that I've ever encountered.
Beautiful!

I've been lucky enough to see a lot of places by bike, including quite a few famous sites. But what I love most are the quiet moments, the small villiages, the friendly encounters that can't be predicted. They can only be found by gliding slowly through the landscape. To each his own, but for me, these moments are the essence of touring.