View Single Post
Old 05-04-06, 09:24 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 2,508 Times in 1,049 Posts
Touring is a wonderful thing to do, regardless of whether you do weekends only or coast-to-coast or in Eupope or around-the-world or anything in between. If it floats your boat, it's good. If it doensn't do it for you, it isn't. So no, there is no requirement that you dip wheels in the Pacific and Atlantic, especially since it isn't easy to get the time and money together at the same point in one's life to pull it off.

I will quibble a bit with an underlying assumption, though, that being that you will be riding through days and days and days of the same scenery and terrain. That wasn't my experience. The basic road profiles for central Nebraska and southern Iowa probably look a lot alike - non-stop low rolling hills. I can assure you, though, that the experience of riding through them is quite different. My route through Illinois, Indiana and Ohio sounds like it would be a repetitious grind, but it wasn't. The Sawtooths in Idaho and the Tetons in Wyoming are both spectacular mountain ranges, but they aren't the same and neither is the experience of seeing them..Granted, some days are better than others - but having done an 800 mile tour, you now all about that. To me, the greatest thing about touring is that your day is so completely your own - all you have to do is ride, and you don't even have to do that if you really would rather not. But the road, and the weather, the people you encounter, and the occasional quirky local custom, should provide enough subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) variation to make the trip an ever-unfolding, ever-changing experience.