Old 05-06-06, 11:30 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 58Kogswell
Not positive this qualifies in terms of tools but if you get V-brakes instead of cantis you will have a much easier time of installation and adjustment. Is that the kind of thing you are asking about?
Yes, thanks.

bar-end shifters mounted on Paul's Thumbies and all of those possibilities are less likely to break and easier to fix if it does than STI / Ergo levers.
I use bar-end shifters mounted on Pauls thumbies and also older thumb shifters from Shimano on each of my four bikes. I think Shimano and other companies are missing a market by not reintroducing thumb shifters.

Last thought - SRAM chains with the magic link or power link or whatever they call it are about the easiest chain change / fix / repair I can imagine.

I use flat, tough MKS platform / touring pedals which means no SPD springs and mechanisms on the pedals or the cleats to break but I realize I am in the extreme minority there. Nothing to fix because there is almost nothing to break and any bike shop will have a cheap replacement.
I also use simple platform peddles (Wellgo makes many and good quality, but I currently use Nashbar's $25 land crusier platform pedals). I prefer to bike in regular shoes/sandals and platform pedals are the way to go with tennis shoes.