Old 05-07-06, 11:41 AM
Timonabike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
Here's cooking technique tip. If you want to conserve stove fuel when cooking pasta or about any food that requires simmering, make a foam pot cozy out of a cheap blue foam sleeping pad from walmart. Use contact cement to glue the ends and bottom together. to use, heat your water to boiling and add the pasta. Turn off the stove and quickly move the pot to the cozy. Put on the pot lid and the insulated top of the cozy so the pot is completely insulated.

Leave the pot alone until the normal simmering time is up, then open up the pot, drain any excess water and proceed normally. The insulation will keep the water temperature close to boiling so the pasta cooks and saves 7-10 minutes worth of fuel.

This is perhaps more of an ultralight backpacking tip, but it may come in handy at times. If you store your pot inside the cozy, you get some padding to protect your pot from dents and scrapes.
Good idea!

Have you seen the commercially available 'insulated' outdoor spigot/faucet covers? An on line search shows them and not wicked expensive either. I think I'll get one and 'kitchen test'. Seems I came across some other references to 'cozy cooking' and will look them up for dishes like rice, polenta, oats &c. Thanks!