aluckyfiji
A Lost Member

Bikes: '03 Felt 35R, ~'88 Basso fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
loose and looping steering...

(I also have it posted in the road bike selection, but no luck so far... maybe all those who hang out here might know more...)

So I am going to try to do my best to put this into words, so if someone needs more clearification please let me know...

I have two bikes (03 Felt and 80's Basso) and I am trying to get the same feeling in the steering of the Basso as I have in the Felt.
The Felt has a 73 degree head tube with a 45mm rake with a 90mm 6degree stem
(sorry I do not know the head tube angle or rake) but it has a 120mm stem

(I have all the measurements on the Basso as close to what I can get to the Felt, hence the 120 stem)

Problem one:
The Basso "feels" loose in the steering, it take NO effort for the wheel to turn and when it does turn it wants to go all the way to 90 degrees. If you lean it up against anything you have to be care that the front wheel does not turn and the bike than "turn away" from the wall/pole and end out on the ground. I have repacked the head set (threaded Record) and there is no sign of wear to the bearing/cup/race/etc. and there is no play in the head set.

Problem two:
On the road the Basso "feels" loopy in steering. I know there is a large difference in the stem length, hence the steering, but I feel like I am on beach cruiser. I am not wanting tight like a track bike, but maybe a little tighter... I was thinking about shorting the stem (this is my commuter, so a more up-right position would be okay) to 11cm but I do not know if that will make a difference or not... I am not really wanting to put that much money into the bike (i.e., no new fork with a differnt rake) I am just hoping that maybe I could get a way with just a stem change...

On the way home today, I am going by the LBS... their best mechanic is in on Mondays... and take to him about it, but I would like to hear everyone elses opinions...