Old 10-08-00, 07:42 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you were king of the world, what would you do to make bicycle commuting more popular?

Weeeellll, of course I would be tempted to outlaw motorcars, but that would mean I would have to bike my aging parents around, so that's out.

However, I would like to see some REAL bike roads in the USA designed to actually bring bicyclists somewhere useful rather than just cruising through neighborhoods and parks. These would be bicycle roads physically separated from the auto lanes; not just a painted line. I want to be separated from the drunk drivers that have killed four bicyclist in my town of 120,000 within this year. (You guessed it, I live in Wisconsin where the best way to minimize punishment for hit and run is to claim you were drunk at the time).

Oh, and as a bicycling king of the world, I would hope to be an ambassador for the bicycling image. I would like the bicycle to be thought of as the transportation of the noble people and not only as a tool of aluminum can collectors and the less fortunate.

How about you?

Mike