View Single Post
Old 05-18-06, 06:56 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
For $24.95, you can hardly go wrong. It sounds like it's from the early '80's. Look on the headbadge, try and find four small numbers stamped on it. This is the date code showing when the bike was assembled. The first three numbers represent the numerical day of the year, the last digit is the last number in the year. Example: 1422 would indicate it was assembled on the 142nd day of 1982, assuming it's an '80's bike........... I'm not sure the Super Le Tour model name came along until the very early '80's (it might have first appeared in the late '70's, I'm not sure). But if it's 1020 steel, it's definitely pre-'83 (in '83 they began building them from chromoly steel). It was more than likely made in Japan (look for labeling on the upper seat tube to indicate this). There was at least one, maybe two, years that some versions of the le tour were made in Chicago, but the vast majority were either made in Japan by Panasonic or into the '80's they were made in Greenville, Mississippi. The "Chicago" headbadge doesn't by any means indicate it was built in Chicago........Like I said, for that price, I say go for it-