View Single Post
Old 05-19-06, 11:26 AM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cohophysh
I think I have most of you beat 303lb 6'. I exersize daily but am interested in road biking. I have done some mtn biking in the past. What is a good bike(s) for someone my size? Thanks for replying
I'm no expert -- I'll get that out there first -- here are my thoughts:
  1. is money an issue?
  2. what is your goal?

If you are just looking to get exercise, then your mountain bike will do it, too. Swap out your knobby tires for slicks, maybe go with a bigger set of chainrings/smaller cassette and enjoy the ride.

If you are looking to spin... to really get some good cardio and cover some miles, then I would suggest (within the constraints of #1) spend extra money on some good wheels. When I built up my bike, the number one thing I did was splurge on the wheels. (Splurge being pretty relative in the bike world.) I was 375#, 6'1" when I started and NYC is not known for good road repair. I needed rock solid wheels.

Keep in mind: when you buy a new bike, you can usually upgrade parts for the difference in price between the part spec'ed to your bike and the price of your upgrades. So, that is the best time to do it.

Also, ride a little on a road bike before you buy. See if you can rent from your local bike shop(s) for a day. And if you can, get different makes/models/sizes. The geometry is different for all of them. You'll get used to the different (mountain -> road) position before you lay out cash. When I went to road from having been on the dirt for years, it took some getting used to. If I had just bought a road bike then, I would probably have gotten the wrong thing.

And buy the bike which is a little more aggressive than you like at the bike shop. After a few weeks you won't notice the difference and you'll ride better for it.

One more thing, get a good seat and shorts. Three hundred and three pounds of pressure is a lot wear and tear on the taint.