View Single Post
Old 05-20-06, 06:39 PM
juan162

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
I'm interested in other's thoughts on the subject. On a side note, I have been trying to learn how the Dahon Speed Pro TT could have STI shifters attached to a SRAM Dual Drive hub (would bar cons work as well?).

-Geof
I was interested in this myself, so I took my Raleigh Twenty to my LBS and tried my SRAM Dual Drive with 105 STI shifters...it worked perfectly after a little adjustment. On a negative note, I have read that the internal gears don't like friction shifters, so just make sure you can get bar cons with indexed 3 speed front shifters...if they exist. I've only been able to find friction style front shifters(of the bar con variety), but what do I know?

Another thing you might be interested in is that when I climb in my "small ring", I feel like I'm losing efficiency because of the internal gearing. It may actually be only a minimal mechanical loss, but I do feel it, and that is REALLY no fun when you are climbing. I just thought you might want to know, since you are planning on touring. I'm thinking of changing over to a double crank and losing the internal gears altogether.

juan162