View Single Post
Old 05-21-06, 01:01 PM
Al.canoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
well, i resisted trying white lightning for a dozen or so years so recently i thought i would give it a try.
white lightning made my drivetrain noisy and shifting sloppy. my drivetrain was cleaner than using wet lube but not by alot.

erader
When I read the post this morning, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that your problems were caused by WL and responded accordingly. After an 18.3 mile ride today, I now believe it's NOT a WL issue. I was careful to listen to drive train noise and I had none. Absolutely none that I could hear and I'm not deaf. I would stop pedaling once in a while and whatever noise there was didn't change---- mostly tire noise which is not all that loud.

And, I was moving pretty well for me at least. I was stressing things enough where there should have been noise if it was noisy. I spin 80 to 100, and I averaged 10.4 mph (riding or moving average) and 9.7mph based on the total time away from the car. It's all sandy single-track save for about 2 miles. Shifting was superb (XTR pods and XT derailleurs); and I shift a lot, sometimes 2 to 4 times in a 100 feet or two (guesstimate) due to the terrain changes and the very tight turns.

I think you might have other problems which may be masked by the wet lube. Since I wipe my chain immediately after lubing, I have little lube on the exterior of the chain. You might have slightly worn cogs/rings, a drive-line issue and/or a worn chain. My road bike also is silent, but with a different lube.

Ran over two snakes. One a small Rattle Snake and the other a long brown snake.

In the "old" days, road cyclist would melt candle wax to lube their chains. It apparently worked. The beauty of WL is that it gets to the chain innards far better and it's a lot less work. Probably also cleaner and does not last as long.

Al