View Single Post
Old 05-26-06, 02:27 AM
MacG
don't pedal backwards...

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker set up for commuting and loaded touring, old Sekine road frame converted to fixed-gear, various beaters and weird bikes, waiting on the frame for my Surly Big Dummy build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How exactly are you lubricating the chain? I've found that the vast majority of chain noise is due to lubrication problems. Wet lubes (oils, etc.) tend to make for quieter drivetrains than waxes and teflons and other dry lubes I've found. The downside is that road grit and dust sticks to the chain a lot more and turns into slimy black goo that gives you chainring tattoos and gets on your pants.

Also, your chain and chainring may not match on terms of wear. Are they both nearly new, or is one older than the other? My slightly worn chainring makes a zooot zooot zoooot sound when I pedal hard no matter what the lubrication situation, just because the rollers are hitting it not quite perfectly, but otherwise my drivetrain is pretty darn quiet, I use pro link chain lube and re-apply it every hundred miles or so or after riding in the rain. Generally I just wait for the chain to start getting noisy again.