Old 05-28-06, 06:29 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Interesting thought: I am much better, so even if I am impaired I am a better driver. I have a very simple question - are you willing to go to a competition with an equal - after drinking downing all that booze? Yes, I suspect you would get whipped, No, then perhaps your faster reflexes might save a life someday, if they aren't numbed by alcohol.

It isn't so much how bad you are - but are you giving those around you the best you have in making sure that vehicle you are driving doesn't kill them. Older drivers are better drivers than younger. Slower reflexes, but better judgment. Younger drivers have better reflexes but worse judgment. (Generally speaking on all of this) My reflexes are not what they once were. But I need to give it the best I have by being alert. (My eyes aren't what they once were either - so I wear glasses, even though it is legal for me to drive without them.)

When you get behind the wheel - it isn't about doing okay, or good enough. It is knowing that you are behind something potentially lethal. I feel part of the right of driving is the responsiblity to be in the best condition you can. This includes not talking on a cell phone, not reaching to the floor to pickup french fries, not driving when nearly asleep, etc.

You might be able to drive okay compared to those of us without training (which I have had by the way) but can you drive as well as you could IF you didn't have the booze? If you could avoid an accident totally sober (that perhaps I couldn't) do you really have the right to cause some's death because you were as good as "anyone else"? Imagine going through the rest of your life knowing that if you had been sober - you would have been able to avoid the accident.

Chemically - you might be able to ignore pain - but alcohol messes with your nerves, and worse yet, your judgment. Also, if you have a high toleration because of the amount you drink - that is because of an addiction. Sorry, it is true. Your body is adapting to the alcohol. If I drank that amount of alcohol, I would be in a hospital. Your body is adapting... and I sure would hate to be your liver. Glad to hear you have decided it is boring.

You probably don't want to hear this - but the best advice I could give is to go to a few AA meetings and see what they think. If you are sure that aren't an alcoholic - what do you have to lose? But if you are, it just might be the best thing you ever did. I have yet to meet an alcoholic who thought he was one. The ones who are worried about their drinking usually are the ones that end up not being an alcoholic (not all the time for sure) - but I worry about them less.

You might be tough in a fight - but facing drinking is a very hard battle my friend, and it takes a different kind of toughness.

Just my dos colones - but perhaps it is worth something because some of our employees go to AA and talk to me about it.