古強者死神
Team Katana

Bikes: None /cry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike skills: platform vs clipless

I have pretty much decided that I want the Mallet C's for my bike when time comes to upgrade my stock pedals. I could go ahead and get them and go clipless right away I have no fear of falling but I have one major concern.

Bike skills and techniques: I think alot of people "cheat" on clipless systems

Say getting the rear wheel up, for me on a platform I have to shift all my weight forward and lift up my feet so that the bike is allowed to move up like my weight shift is trying to do. While sombody on clipless has nothing more to do than "jump" or lift there feet up and the bike comes with them.

same for a bunny hop, to get the rear wheel in the air it requires a nice shift of bike position and weight while a clipless rider just has to lift there feet up.

So whats the right way do to things? Should a clipless rider learn how to do things the "hard" way first on platforms for best teqnique or should they just learn a total diffrent set of skills.

I think alot of clipless riders are very handicaped if they were forced to ride a friends platform bike for a day.

So what do you think on the subject?

I have mixed feelings so I am not sure where I stand. My biggest fear is trying to do things the "easy" way and have the shoe come off the pedal one day resulting in a very painfull injury, while platform users have to learn to move the bike with them and never apply force to the pedal.

But its tempting when I can do a 2 foot bunny hop clipless and only a 6" one on platforms ^^