jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing drivetrain parts - frustrating

I'm getting a new bike, but want to keep my old Trek 720 hybrid as a beater. Unfortunately, the chain broke while riding it and the rear cassette and front chainrings, bottom bracket, and front derailleur really all need to be replaced. At this point, I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the entire crankset and the rear derailleur too. I don't want to replace the bar end shifters if I don't need to because they seem fine. Having no experience, I decided to try and replace the parts myself. I thought I had all of the compatibility issues worked out, but didn't get far. Here are the problems I've encountered so far and questions about how to fix it if possible.

1. The old bottom bracket I'm replacing was 116 mm spindle which I don't even see available anymore. The bottom bracket and crankset combination I got does not appear to give the small chainring adequate clearance from the chainstay. Is this something I can solve by getting a different size bottom bracket? I bought a 110mm size. If I get a 118mm, will that work with the crankset or does the crankset dictate the size of the bb?

2. The front derailleur I purchased is for the wrong chainstay angle. Also, the old one was a bottom bracket mount. Other than buying one for the correct angle, what other compatibility issues do I need to look for? Do I need to get a bottom bracket mounted one again?

I'm just hoping I'm not at a complete do-over as far as buying parts at this time. I'd really like to accomplish this, but not if it's just a continual exercise in frustration.