Old 06-25-03, 05:49 PM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by EdilCS

PAT, Possibly my problem is that I don't like the comfort/performance tradeoff. I want both!. Isn't possible to have excellent performance and comfort on the same bike?
Yes, but the problem is that most riders' definition of "comfort" starts to change as soon as they start racking up the miles.

You see, the true soul of comfort on a bike is perfect fit, because the most likely sources of discomfort is stress on your joints or chafing and abrasion from an ill-fitting saddle.

Sure, there will be muscle soreness and tenderness "down under" at first, as you acclimate to using new muscles and such, but over the long term a comfortable bike is one that lets you ride long distances, staying in the saddle for hours, without overstressing your knees or your elbows or your back or your neck.

There's a reason why overwhelmingly the people who ride that much ride road bikes, with drop handlebars and narrow, unpadded saddles: they're more comfortable. The rider's weight is distributed more evenly, so it's not all on the saddle. The handlebars offer a variety of positions for the hands to reduce fatigue. The saddle supports the rider via his "sit-bones" -- the ischeal tuberosities" and doesn't compress or chafe the gluteal muscles (which are, after all, supposed to be helping you pedal the bike, which isn't as easy when you're sitting on them) or other softer, more sensitive tissue.

Cyclocross and light touring bikes are really just heavy-duty road bikes, designed to be able to go off the pavement and to carry loads.

It's hard to believe that a Kona dealer wouldn't be familiar with the Jake-the-Snake, which is among Kona's most famous and best-selling models. That's the sort of bike that I think would meet your stated needs over the long run, and which you'd never need to replace or upgrade.

Maybe these dealers just don't think of them as cyclocross bikes, and you'd do better asking for the specific model -- Jamis Nova, Trek XO1, Kona Jake-the-Snake, etc.

You really owe it to yourself to find one to test ride before you pick something else, if it's at all possible.

RichC