View Single Post
Old 06-07-06, 08:34 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asyrol
I don't mind the wet so much as I do the chafing that went with it - the crease where my thighs meet my ass are red and sore. Should I try drying my shorts under the hand dryer? talc?

My boyfriend has suggested a second set of clothing. That way I'll always have a set at both work and home drying!
Asyrol - I am a professional man, I commute 5 days per week, 15 miles each way. My routine:
I have a bike with a rear rack and I carry a pannier or two to carry my stuff - Each day I bring in clean clothes, sometimes I am also bringing paperwork, laptop computer, food to restock my office pantry etc.
Many commuters say they have good luck rolling their clothes - that has never worked for me. I neatly fold my shirt and pants, and put them in the pannier first, so they are against the hard flat back of the bag. I keep shoes at work, and usually use those. I keep a sport coat at work, although I usually don't need to wear that. Before leaving home I shave, floss and brush my teeth. I also eat a piece of fruit. When I arrive at work, I first power up my computer and do a quick check of e-mails, this give me a chance to cool down and stop sweating. I then shower, put on a deoderant, brush my hair get dressed. I hang my shirt in the room with the shower during my shower - the steam makes the few wrinkles at the fold lines fall out. I fix breakfast at work from my pantry - usually oatmeal and bran muffin or bagel. I am able to hang my biking garb in my office in an out of the way place so that it can dry before heading home - socks and gloves are usually still moist when I put them on .
Once I get home I usually have a quick rinse off in the cool shower before getting dressed.

You mention a chafing problem - are you wearing bike shorts, or running shorts? - Bike shorts will make a huge difference. Also look into Butt Balm, Chamois Buttr or some other thing like that to help with the chafing - shouldn't be happening on rides as short as yours, you should be able to completely avoid it. Deninitely invest in some more bike garb - It is expensive at first, but lasts well, and makes you sooo much more comfortable.

Every day you will get stronger - This morning it was raining, after I was showered and dressed, someone at the coffee machine made a comment on how bad it must have been to ride in when the weather is bad, I just smiled and enjoyed the warmth of the endorphin high that I was on and thought about how bad it must be to have to run to the coffee machine as soon as you get in the door. I'm sure that I enjoyed my commute more than he did his.