Old 06-07-06, 08:56 AM
Offhoff
Tie me up, Tie me down

Bikes: The Brown Beast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Britain was weird because you have to retrain to drive on the wrong side of everything, damn backwards british. I loved just about everywhere else in Europe, especially Vienna. Nothing like getting hit on by really really hot Austrian girls on a bike (come on Toronto girls get with the program!) Though I have to admit the cobblestones did get a little jarring after awhile.

Woodbridge? Markham? That's not Toronto! Those are dirty suburbs whose borders I pray never to broach unless I am seeking excellent Italian in Woodbridge or deliciously delectable high-end Hong Kong Chinese in Markham. Plus those communities were designed around a car-centric culture. So anyone who wishes to be a pedestrian or a cyclist is immediately at a disadvantage simply for the way development has taken place. The post war bedroom communities that sprung up around Toronto were built using designs purchased from large american homebuilders making them perfect if you want to have to get into the car to get a carton of milk.

Its the exact reason why, even with the vastly lower property values, total cost of living is actually more expensive in the suburbs especially once you have kids of driving age. The entire amount of money I spend on my bike in a year wouldn't put a dent in what my car insurance would be. I think what will be most interesting in Toronto is the change to higher density housing. Besides rosedale, single family dwellings are going to become a rarity in downtown Toronto over the next 20 years.