View Single Post
Old 06-08-06, 10:23 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Henri Cornet 1904. Louis Trousselier 1905. René Pottier 1906. Octave Lapize 1910.
Odile Defraye 1912. Romain Maes 1935. Gino Bartali 1938 - one of your Italians. That's all of them (plus Garin) up to WW II. A surprisingly large number.
Sorry but it seems only Henri holds up.

All the rest abandonded in a tour previous to their win. They all however did win the first time they finished.

On the unique feat of Gino. He had back to back tour wins 10 years apart. 38 and 48. This is the longest time between a riders first and last wins in the TDF. That alone may never be matched, for them to be in consecutive times a rider entered the tour just is not going to happen again.

Guess I should share my 'secret' source. There is a site memoire-di-cyclisme.com. My suggestion is to look it up in Google and then use the translate this page option. (Unless you speak French). At times one may want to go to the original French as sometimes names get translated in interesting ways. 'Prize list' under 'runers' has the most complete listing of palmares for riders I have ever seen. For the major tours it includes ANY placing, abandonment or disqualification. It also has any top 5 and usually any top 10 place in a stage. It has one big limitation. Riders only make it once retires, but I can understand that, it would be real work to keep it updated for current riders.

One other thing I have found looking things up. Try the name of a race and you get tons of worthless junk. Try the names of riders, best of all riders from different eras and you find the historical sites for races.

There are still 3 riders to name, Two Italian and one French. All 3 in amny top 10 riders of all times lists. One has already been mentioned in this thread, but not as a first time winner.