View Single Post
Old 06-09-06, 04:27 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
DFox, I paid $40 which is more than my usual $5-$20 for a garage sale bike, but considering the condition, I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. The front wheel was missing the tube, so I guess the real price was $46, still a bargain.

Stapham, Thanks for the comments, but with my neck problems, I want to stay on suspension bikes on the trail, especially since my neck is actually improving over time. But your comment about the bike being lite is right on. It weighed in at approximately 25 lbs., the lightest MTB in our family. For now, I'm just going to ride it around the neighborhood on short runs.

Wildwood, thanks so much for providing catalogue information. Now I know this is newer than 1992. It has an alloy frame with a Sugino Impel crank, STX rear deraileur and an Altus front deraileur. The rims are Weinmann 519 with presta valves with Accera hubs. The brakes are Dia-Compe vc737 V brakes.
I hate to replace the original tires, but they are out of round from the bike being stored with flat tires. They have no dry rot. Your comment about entry level lines up with the Altus deraileur, but the other components are more middle range. I'm guessing this may have been the entry level alloy bike and the GF was still making steel bikes when this was new. One nice decal on the bike says 'Made In USA' with a picture of the flag (sigh). Not too many of those around today.
Thanks for all the comments and feel free to add more.