View Single Post
Old 06-12-06, 10:58 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a truck driver. No, you did nothing wrong. I encounter cyclists all the time in narrow spots. Drivers just have to watch for them. Maybe because I cycle I'm more aware. Alot of cyclists are pretty stupid. I agree that dump drivers as a group, tend to be more hell-bent than most. Often, they are under production pressures that can lead to a habit of recklessness, i.e., no sweep before departing. No excuses.

The fact that he kissed the other guy's mirror indicates that he was trying to avoid killing you, though. He just blamed you for it. The oncoming truck driver undoubtably was not concerned with you, he was hoping and praying there would be room enough to pass without touching. OOPS! KaKa Passa.

It ain't easy driving one of those things. You get crapped on by everyone and road rage is not linited to dump drivers. I've seen suburban housewives become spluttering, screaming, purple-faced monsters. Cyclists, too. I would recommend to all cyclists to check behind them when approaching a choke point. Be aware and use good judgement. Know the difference between your rights and your survival. We can't control other drivers, only ourselves.

Practice Defensive Riding. A good defensive rider is a strategist. Know where you can be assertive and where you can't win. Know your choke points ahead of time if it's a regular route. Be aware that they come in both directions.

Glad you made it.