Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronin2046
Very interesting... T.O. Alleycat!

Hey cavernmech, since you're the wheel-building god around here, do you know if Shimano still produces the high-flange version of their Dura-Ace track hub?

I've been seeing them on the interweb and they look damn cool! If not, then are the low-flange versions pretty good, compared to the likes of Formula, Phil, Surly, etc...

Thanks.
The old Dura-Ace track hubs with the blue band on the flange are no longer in production. You can still find em if you look for em. I had a pair many moons ago and while VERY nice they are not the best choice for street use. Campy and Dura-Ace use loose bearing design's which require regular and frequent re-packing if you use them in inclement weather. The new style Dura-Ace small flange set are sealed a little better. I have a pair of these but they are on my track only/pimpin wheelset and see very little street use. Most of the other hubs on the market use cartridge bearings and are a much more durable and maintenance free choice for street use. That being said the Dura-Ace's spin like budda!