Thread: tips for rain
View Single Post
Old 06-15-06, 10:14 AM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, a baseball hat under the helmet is a must, especially if you wear glasses.
And yes, fenders. (I like the SKS, which are $40, but a lot less of a problem than my Freddy Fenders are, and which are a bit cheaper.) Fenders for me means the difference between just getting wet and having absolutely sopping-wet shoes.

But I really do need a waterproof jacket for spring and summer. I have a great waterproof jacket for winter (Mountain Hardwear, which I believe is on par with the Rainpass jackets). But I'd like something for the warmer months that beathes, something with huge pit zips, I think. The Sugoi Viper jacket looks great, but it's also $120. If it really works, I'll get it. But does anybody use the Rainshield O2 jacket? (The yellow one pictured, $35 at Nashbar.) Or the house-brand water-resistant cycling jacket from the Canadian retailer MEC? This looks pretty good to me. (It's about $58 US.)
I've given up on rain paints, but there's got to be SOME jacket that works when it's 50 degrees out, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MECjacket.jpg (6.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif
02jacket.gif (6.7 KB, 230 views)