Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanb
Ok, I called the guy at Sturmey-Archer "Sun Race" USA in California about this and he said he'd forward the question to the engineers but I've not gotten an answer on this yet, so I thought I'd see if someone else with experience with dynamo hubs can answer it.

I have on order a new X-FDD hub, this is the SA hub with a dynamo plus a 70mm drum break. It is, of course, NOT the old S-A Dynohub.

I am designing a lighting system using superbright (like 18000mcd) LEDs. All the information I could find on the hub says that it produces "6V, 3W". Ok, so a half an amp at six volts, presumably AC like the old hub. I've heard that the hub, unlike the old dynohub, was regulated to not exceed that rating. But I was talking to an engineer friend about the project and when I said that he asked "Do you just think that or do you know that it's power-regulated AC?" He said he found it unlikely that they'd do that because it takes a lot more components than either (1 rectifying it into DC and power regulating it or (2 leaving it in AC and not bothering to regulate at all.

So well, if they turn it into DC, it's easy, just dump it right into the system. If it's AC I need to rectify it myself and if (and only if) they don't regulate it at all I need to set up some sort of z-diode/resister pressure valve system. I, of course, don't want to build my circult with a rectifier and z-diode built in if I don't need it, but at the same time I don't want to turn the system into a chunk of expensive plastic if the hub isn't that friendly (18000 mcd LEDs aren't cheap!). Does anyone know about this hub?
We have these in stock. I believe the generator ("dynamo") part is quite similar to the Shimano Nexi.

No generator hub is truly "regulated" in the sense of using active components...zener diodes and the like. The only bicycle generator I know of that includes true, active regulation is the Swiss LightSpin. All of the other systems put the regulating circuitry in the lamp.

All bicycle generators that I know of get _some_ regulation from the inductance of the armature.

Theoretically the voltage should be proportional to the speed, but as the speed increases the AC frequency also increases, so the armature acts as a choke, a low-pass filter, keeping the voltage from rising linearly with the speed.

LEDs are MUCH less voltage critical than incandescent light bulbs, so I don't believe you'll need any additional regulation with any bicycle generator system.

Sheldon "Sparks" Brown