Old 06-18-06, 08:19 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by never
You converted the rear from disc to v-brake? Why?

You can lose quite a bit of weight by getting rid of the fork and going to something better. What do you have for tires/tubes, going to a lighter weight pair with a faster tread pattern will make a noticeable difference.

You mention what the bike is built for but what type of riding do you do?
The V-brake conversion was for two reasons:

1) nothing out here is technical enough to justify a rear disc. Mostly flatland, soft ground, but easily stoppable.
2) Sometimes I put a rack on this bike...and I do not own a disc-compatible rack

Mostly XC, but I also jump off stuff up to 2 feet tall.

Tires vary depending on what I'm doing, between WTB Weirwolf 2.1 (trail fun) and Specialized Nimbus (street riding). Tubes are some ultralight stuff...they seem alright.

edit: in the photo that bike had some kenda Klaw XT tires on them....chepos I used for road use until I got my Nimbus.

I also grabbed some parts from my currently dismantled roadbike, so this bike now has a thomson elite seatpost, and a specialized alias saddle. So far that saddle is far nicer than the WTB one.

I'm also debating on some xtr v-brakes since I have a chance to get them for a steal. I know the weight savings isn't much, but it is a darn nice brake....but now that I found some decent non-skewer based rear racks...I might just go back to disc anyways...who knows...

Last edited by catatonic; 06-18-06 at 08:24 AM.