WarrenG
Oldbie bike racer

Bikes: Steve Rex road, track, Richard Sachs road, Giant mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNS
they're completely unprocessed oats and are very calorie and carb dense. 1 cup of "old fashioned rolled oats" has 300 calories and I think 54g of carbs, 1 cup of "steel cut oats" has 600 calories and something like 120g carbs. In-race high GI carbs, or carbs that are used quickly, are fine and actually preferred but for a pre-training or pre-race meal one would prefer low GI, or slow burning carbs. When lots of high GI carbs are taken in an insulin response occurs and can lead to light headedness and the typical "sugar crash". With low GI carbs there's much less if any insulin response and you won't crash. By pre-training meal I'm referring to whatever you eat 60-90 minutes before training.

www.bobsredmill.com has them.

Winco has them for 59 cents per pound. They have a decent amount of protein in them and to me, they taste better than rolled oats. 3:1 ratio of water to SCO in pan with some dired fruit (it will rehydrate) and let simmer for about 20 minutes. I have them most mornings and around 3 hours prior to races when I can, and then more easily-digested things closer to race time.