xilios

Bikes: Gazelle Playa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
On the subject of touring more than once -

Yes, the first tour is ofttimes compared to your first love. And for good reason. It opens up an entire new realm of experience previously unimagined. However, there are many reasons to continue to tour aside from the idea that you are attempting to recapture that first experience. I am reminded of the reasons someone chooses to reread a book or to play a Mozard sonata for the umpteenth time. Anyone who has reread a favorite book knows that the second or third reading brings with it entire new levels of understanding. In addition, the cadence of the words themselves bring pleasure. The same applies for a Mozart sonata. Many pianists continue to learn new repetoire throughout their lives, but they continue to play a favorite sonata nearly every day for 60 or 70 years. Why?

If your goal on a second or third or fourth tour is to recapture the unique emotions of the first, then I fear there will only be disappointment. On the other hand, if you approaches later tours with the idea of expanding and enriching the experience - and if you enjoy the physical experience of riding - of motion combined with land and sky and the smell of a clover meadow - then you will be pleasantly surprised year after year.

Best - J
I totaly agree with you. And I would also like to add.
My wife and I just finished a tour from Maastricht, The Netherlands to Barcelona, Spain.
On my first tour to Athens, Greece I went alone, this time my wife joined me. We both had a great time, even with the bad weather, we had most of the time.
Even though I had a fantastic time last year being my first tour, if I was to ride again to Athens I think I would like it just as much, not only because my wife would be coming along, but knowing much more about touring, I would make a few changes to the route.
The ride alone is not enough, the people, the languages, the land scapes, the food, the architecture of buildings, there is a lot more to touring than gear ratios, amount of kms, hills conquered and timetables for destinations.
cheers