Thread: Toronto Fixed
View Single Post
Old 06-19-06, 06:09 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cavit8
You can make a bike rack with no marring of walls of floors with a 4x4, piece of threaded rod, two nuts a washer and some small chunks of wood. Put as many bikes on it as you want if you get creative. I've typically only had two bikes on it. I'll take pictures of mine tonight when I get home.
okay, what to do with your fixie when it's at home

Use a 4x4, good diameter threaded rod (1/2 is dirt cheap at home despot) and any odds and ends you like. Drill a hole in the 4x4 such that whatever length of threaded rod you use sits just below the ceiling when you stand the 4x4 on end. Place two nuts and a washer on the the threaded rod, then a wood block with a hole drilled in it on the rod. Place in a vertical position and thread the nuts towards the end of the rod, firmly pusing the block against the ceiling. You can pad the block with a piece of carpet if you're paranoid about scarring the ceiling. I'd also suggest using a cross piece of something as a base on the 4x4. Then place a hook(s) where you like to hang your bike. I've done two cross ways. The format you see here is a space consideration mostly.

****warning**** I'd highly recommend pressure treated wood. Other woods will crack when they dry. On that note, it's quite likely the 4x4 you buy will be wet. That means check the tightness of the setup often until the 4x4 is dry as it will shrink as it drys, loosening the whole shebang, much to your sorrow. And buy a decent diameter of allthread. Don't do what I did and use a narrow diameter as it will tend to bend a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: png
Diagram1.png (6.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
rack8.jpg (21.9 KB, 22 views)