View Single Post
Old 06-21-06, 06:01 PM
billthebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many calories do I burn when I bike?

Hello everyone!

I have recently become a biker out of necessity, since a quad injury forced me to stop running for a time. Also, that same injury prompted some depression, which prompted some poor eating choices, which prompted the pounds to start piling. So, now that I've been biking regularly for a few weeks, I have some questions.

1. The weight has not been coming off like I had expected. I know that with running you can burn approximately 100 calories per mile, but what about biking? Right now, I'm averaging 125 miles per week on my bike, with a long ride on Saturdays between 35-45 miles long. I'm doing a little bit of "speed work" maybe once or twice a week, with easy rides in between where I don't pay any attention at all to my speed. I weight 135 lbs, and I need to lose between 10-15lbs. Diet-wise, I'm basically doing the South Beach Diet which doesn't seem to affect my biking one way or the other. Any suggestions here?

2. What is the comparative ratio between biking and running? If I bike 30 miles, what is that approximately in running miles? Or is it just the rate of exertion that I should be measuring? Primarily, my concern is how much running fitness can I expect to lose with the biking I'm doing now?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

btb