Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
General question for you guys.

I have a 1991 Trek 800 ATB that I bought new. Haven't ridden it much since I got the road bike but the other night I just didn't feel like changing shoes so just hopped on the 800 and took off. That old bike was really fun to ride and I was amazed at how easy the hills were with the gearing it has. So here goes.

I got to thinking I should improve the bike somewhat. It's a pretty good Chromoly frame, seven speed, with the Biopace crank, knobby tires. But I am undecided between to avenues I could go.

1. Just do new wheels and tires and do a good cleanup, or
2. Really do the whole ball of wax: new wheels and tires, new group w/8-9 speed cassette, new shifters, new brakes, and even a paint job. I would probably keep the Biopace crank, it has a 48 big ring and I kinda like it.

So, would it be worth putting $400-500 into it or should I just go the cheap route? I think it would be a good bike for the MUPs or just putzing around on short rides.
why not just enjoy it the way it is?...you'll have a fit isse trying to install a 8/9 spd cog set between the chain stays, I'd look at new tires and tubes if they're over 15 years old...maybe brake pads as well...but if the cables are OK, if everything works...i'd just clean and lube the drive train and have fun (after 15 years i'd check the headset, just to make sure that it's not loose...best way is to lock the front brake and rock the bike...if it wobbles, i'd look at replacing it for safety's sake)