View Single Post
Old 06-26-06, 04:44 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by -Bong-
Not BMX, thats for sure. Neighborhood, park & industrial park cruising for excercise & pleasure. And I'd prefer something more durable than a thin wheeled traditional 10 speed, and not a mountain bike. I don't need 24 gears.

The idea of a small frame is appealing - and after riding the bike, it just felt more like I was RIDING a bike instead of just sitting & pedalling. FUN! Like I said - I'm not set on this particular model, it just so happens to be the only cruiser set up for test riding in my town. I have no intention of hitting jumps or any of that nonsense. I just want something smaller & manuverable (?) and easily carried & stored. 20" is too small. The fixed gear was OK - but since I don't plan on dirt, I got the idea of putting some other speeds on it to make it a little more practical for riding longer distances from my house. Not cross town mind you, but out of my neighborhood.

I'm not opposed to building from the frame up if I knew where to look. Are you saying its not possible?

Thanks for the response.

-B
Well if you've test riden the bike and your comfortable on it then that's half the battle already. You could fit a long reach caliper brake to the front wheel by the looks of it fairly easily but don't expect a lot of braking power from it. If you hands are strong enough it will work.

The rear wheel spacing is the first thing you need to check on. I thought they would be 120 mm but someone else with experience say's their 110 mm. Redline also do the MX 24 which has a full cro-molly frame which would be a better choice if you intend to spread the rear dropouts a little for a multi-speed hub.

On another note it is possible to get street tires for that wheel size too. The ISO diameter is 507 mm.

Regards, Anthony