View Single Post
Old 06-28-06, 11:05 AM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superslomo
Newbie to the Forum, definite Clydesdale here... 6'3", 212-215, down from 225 earlier this year. Back when I rode constantly about 5 years ago I was at 180 and a bit under for a while.

After a loooooooooong layoff, I'm getting back on the horse (a month now), and have lost about ten and change.

I'm riding a Cannondale T800, from 2000, and have a question: the stock 700cx35 wheelset (Mavic T519, eyelets, 36 spoke 15g) with Conti Top Touring tires (all stock gear) seem to have a good bit of resistance to wind and road both.

What's a good tire/wheel package for a guy my size? It's a touring bike, so I figure the wheels are set up to be super bomb-proof, and I've never broken a spoke, and don't get a whole lot of flats.

Is 20 and 24 enough of a spoke count if I'm getting a new set of wheels for normal road training? Can anyone recommend a cheap(ish) set to use? I don't want to go too narrow on the tires, or maybe I should just use the stock rims with thinner, slicker tires?

Anyhow... glad to see that I'm not alone with the bigness. Hoping to do a century ride this fall (first timer).

Any advice is appreciated...
unless you are doing club rides or something where trying to keep up is burning you out, I'd ride the wheels you have. You are not training to race, you're riding to get in shape.

If after a while you decide you want to go fast, get a more appropriate bike.

In the meantime, you COULD just swap out the tires (not the wheels). Go with a narrower tire and you'll have less rolling resistance. It will be easier to push and the such. Keep in mind, you will also then be more prone to flats and have a less plush ride... therein lies the rub. Otherwise ride these, get new tires a few weeks before the Cent, train on them the last few weeks (just to be sure...) and then the Cent will feel like it is all down hill.

If you are set on replacing, I have Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra hubs. They seem rock solid. (But I too have 36 spokes so I don't think you would be gaining to much.)