View Single Post
Old 07-02-06, 07:10 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dietrologia
If UCD is anything like UCSB, I would advise buying a cheapie beater bike. My bikes got stolen 3 times and they were hunks of junk.

Anything not bolted down will get jacked too. Lights, seats, quick-release tires, you name it. Groups of jackasses would go around late at night, steal a couple of bikes, strip it, swap out the parts and repaint it for a quick sale.
I also would recommend getting a used piece of junk. Drunken students love to trash bikes (particularly the wheels) and any decent parts will get stripped. Replace any quick release mechanisms on your bike with bolts, and lock down everything. Remove your light whenever your are not using it. Between the thieves and the vandals, no decent bike has a chance.

After you graduate and your bikes won't have to spend so much time on the racks, you can get a nice one. I think a cruiser is probably a good style of bike for the type of riding you describe.